However, blog commenting has earned a bad rap, especially in the SEO world. It has been relegated as a spammy approach to promoting a website. But I refuse to believe so. I think blog commenting can be a very powerful tool when used correctly.
Thus, in this edition of my blogging 101 series, I'd like to share my two cents on the proper way to leave and manage blog comments:
* Be sincere. Make sure you add something of value to the conversation by leaving an honest and insightful comment. This might even encourage other readers to add their comments. It is a good way to build a conversation within the blogging space.
* Leave your blog links. I personally appreciate it when others leave a link to their blogs on their comments. It makes it easier to reciprocate the act of commenting.
* Stay on topic.
* Keep it brief. It can be easy to be overwhelmed but be straightforward in sharing your thoughts. Do not leave your own personal blog post at the comments section.
* Check for responses. It can be frustrating when you start a discussion and then be gone forever. If you are expecting a reply, check back on your comment. Do not leave the other person hanging.
* Do not spam! This is the number one rule in blog commenting. As I've said, it is completely okay to leave your blog link. But it is best to limit it to that. If I decide to visit your blog, I will find the links to your social media accounts. No need to leave a link to every social media link on your post.
* Do not be impolite. If you read something you do not agree on, be polite in sharing your disagreement. You have to respect the blog's space and that you are merely a guest on that space.
* Do not make it hard for others to leave their comment. If you are concerned about troll or spam comments, impose a filtering method so you can moderate comments before they are published.
* Do not make generic comments. Or else, you will be leaving out an impression that you did not read the blog at all.
These are just some of the things that I would like to remind everyone when it comes to posting comments on other blogs. Do you have other tips you can add?