Blogger 101: Thoughts on Fashion Blog Opportunities

Source


In an ideal world, fashion bloggers wake up to tons of email every single day from companies offering us free clothes. Unfortunately, the real world is far from ideal. The world of fashion blogging (or blogging in general) is not nearly as glamorous as it is portrayed. Posing for photoshoots is not easy, either. And that is saying a lot given that that is the easiest part of the job (yes, I do refer to it as a job!). There is a lot more going on behind every single post before you can even hit the publish button. 

Hence, you can imagine the frustration that every fashion blogger feels when their email inbox is empty - not a single PR company or brand representative has taken the time out to even notice all of the hard work you've put in. It is more than just frustrating - it makes you question your decision to blog in the first place. Is this really for me? Do I have to re-think my decision to blog and shift my focus elsewhere? 

Don't get frustrated yet. I did have the same dilemma when I was starting off as a fashion blogger. I went on for months without anyone contacting me for a collaboration, etc. I just went on doing my usual round of posts, sharing things that I enjoyed. I tried to focus my attention back to my original intent of starting the blog. It's because I wanted an outlet for sharing my passion for fashion, and other related subjects. "I did not start out blogging to get free clothes or make money, right?" I reminded myself. 


When I adapted that perspective, it was only a matter of time until I got my first email and collaborative opportunity. When I entered my first year, more opportunities poured in. And this year, my second year of fashion blogging, I had more opportunities than I had the first year. I realized that fashion blogging is all about showcasing a part of who you are - your genuine personality. Eventually, brand representatives and PR companies will see through you. Brands will recognize that and find you a valuable representative for their brand online. Then, opportunities will come to you without you even having to look for it. I am not saying that it is guaranteed but if you can do that, you will put yourself in a much better position than when you first started. If you're working too hard to leave an impression, it will come off as unnatural. 

Hence, if you are starting out (say on your first year of blogging), don't stress yourself out over fashion blog opportunities. It will happen when it is meant to happen. Just do what you set out to do. Focus on making your blog a haven for other bloggers to get inspiration from, or share things that inspire you. Also, it is important to be genuine at all times. Your blog should represent your personality and style - not someone else's. 

I've read the London Beauty Queen's Blog Advice series, touching on this topic, especially on the area of jealousy. She raises an important point that I believe any new or budding fashion blogger must know: "I've experienced huge periods of jealousy, begrudging others' success when I really should be celebrating it - after all, someone has to pave the way and start opening doors!" I could not agree more. Unlike common perception, the pie is big enough for everyone. There is an opportunity waiting for you! But unless you are able to showcase who you really are, these brands can't see (and appreciate) that! Focus your energies on building your own site because that is where it's ought to be.

I hope you found these tips helpful. I am no expert when it comes to fashion blogging nor do I claim to have several opportunities to consider myself a major influencer in the field of fashion blogging. However, I felt the need to share my experience and perspective on the subject to help out those who were just starting out, because I know how it felt to be there. Don't get frustrated. Stay inspired and motivated. 

This is just the first of a series of posts that I am planning to write this new year to help out more bloggers in the community. I hope you stay tuned for the rest of this series. Or, if you have some questions or concerns, feel free to leave those questions in the comments or email me. I could possibly address them in a future post! Thank you! xo


 

36 comments

  1. This post absolutely made my day. It is so easy to lose perspective on WHY we started blogging to begin with. I find that there is a lot of competitiveness and wanting more and more.....but it's important to step back and re-prioritize sometimes.
    the-creationofbeauty.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Shannon! Thank you, I am glad you enjoyed the post and gained some insights about your own blogging journey :)

      Delete
  2. As the saying goes "you hit the nail on the head"! Thank you for sharing your thoughts on blogging, I found this refreshing and so relevant, just what I needed to hear. Thank you, thank you, thank you!
    Sincerely,
    Aida
    www.mylifeinmascara.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Aida! Thank you for the following and sharing your thoughts on the topic! I'd like for you to stick around, I have a few more posts up soon :)

      Delete
  3. This is was such a nice post, thanks for sharing your experience and thoughts on this topic. I do agree that it is important to remember who you are, why you even started the blog in the first place, and to just stay genuine and true to yourself while blogging!!

    Dee
    http://urbanchicblvd.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you :) I hope you come by again for more of these blogging tips wherein I will be sharing more of my thoughts and experiences from blogging :)

      Delete
  4. I agree with everything you've said here. I started blogging and decide to share life and style posts because I love doing it. I love sharing some aspects of my life to everyone. We bloggers must always remember that we blog for ourselves and not for anyone else. :)

    Great post Abby!

    xo
    www.itsjaninella.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Same here Janine! Just keep doing what you're passionate about and the opportunities will eventually come to you :)

      Delete
  5. I love this post and exactly what I needed right now. Everytime I have the notion to ask myself "Why am I doing this" and the you were absolutely right when I first started to do this I did it because I loved being fashionable on the budget. I wanted to help other women that you don't have to break the bank to fashionable. Thank you

    Mary
    http://curlybyrdiechirps.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree, Mary :) It's all about creating your own unique voice so your blog will stand out :) Good luck to your own blogging ventures!

      Delete
  6. good post!!! thank you for sharing!! it's also so me~

    theautumnstreet.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  7. I totally agree with everything you said.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Great article, I couldn't agree more. We go through seasons of tons of opportunities, then silence for a couple of months, but really we blog because we love it, so the PR opportunities are just a bonus when they happen.

    Brooke
    pumps and push-ups

    ReplyDelete
  9. I loved reading your article! Everything you say is true, especially your individual style. I've been blogging for 6 months, originally started as an outlet for expressing my love for fashion. My blog has grown just in a few months, but by choice. It's still only a hobby, but I the advice I'd like to offer if want the most exposure is get involved in blogging communities (IFB, Blogger Collective etc), put yourself out there on social networks (Instagram, Twitter, etc) and fashion photo sites (Lucky Magazine, Lookbook, Stylekick, Chictopia, etc). There will be companies that notice you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Leanne,
      Classy Yet Trendy
      www.classyyettrendy.com

      Delete
  10. I loved this post. It was super inspiring & I am for sure able to relate to how you feel sometimes.

    michellespaige.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  11. Great read! Thanks for sharing with Visible Monday, xo.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hi Abby,
    Thanks for leaving a comment on my blog :) I wanted come over here and check out your blog! I love this post you did! I just started blogging 4 months ago, and I appreciate what you said about just being who we are and not stressing over collaborations. I got into blogging as a creative outlet and it has been a breath of fresh of air for me. I too agree that we as bloggers should be supporting and inspiring each other, not competing. Thanks for sharing your wonderful perspective!
    Warmest Regards,
    Cynthia at http://styleneverstops.com

    ReplyDelete
  13. Hey !
    First of all, thank you for visiting my blog and commenting on my post. I really appreciate it.
    This post is very inspiring. I have been blogging for just a little over 1 month now and I love it but yes it could get frustrating at times when you don't get as much views as you want when you believe that the article you posted was worth it. But patience is the key to everything. If you add hard work, it will always get you closer to where you want to be.
    Thank you for sharing your experience with all of us. I would love it if we could stay in touch through social media
    xx
    Coco
    http://mllecoconath.com

    ReplyDelete
  14. This post was really helpful! I've been blogging about 16 months now and have had some great fashion and other related opportunities for my blog. I've also been offered plenty not-so-great opportunities, as I think we all have! Sounds like you've done really well for yourself anyway. :)
    Thanks for leaving your link on twitter, followed!
    lily x
    www.jolihouse.com

    ReplyDelete
  15. Thanks so much, Abby!! These tips really helped and encouraged me! Can't wait for the next installment in this series!!

    Sarah
    http://mybowsandclothes.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  16. Happy New Year Abby! Love hearing your personal thoughts on blogging and the other opportunities it brings. I also was genuinely surprised when companies and brands would reach out to me for potential collaboration.

    Keep sharing your insights!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Indeed, as the fashion world accepts the many genres of women out there, the pie is ever widening. I'm in my 40s and used to be insanely jealous of every successful blogger. It wasn't only that I craved what they had, I felt I deserved everything they had. Stupid and irrational? Yes. Natural and normal? Very much yes :) when I finally realised how delusional I was, I let it all go. I started writing in earnest, writing what I wanted, how I felt. Writing for the sake of writing, not for attention, and things have been progressing nicely ever since. When you make a conscious decision to recognise how much work others have invested into building themselves as successful brands, the jealousy very quickly turns into admiration and respect. Thank you for sharing, Abby, and I look forward to reading a regular series on the topic. Such a timely reminder :)

    ReplyDelete
  18. Celebrating other people's success is difficult to learn, but such an important step towards feeling happy and content. You said it perfectly: "The pie IS big enough for everyone!"

    ReplyDelete
  19. Great post! I love how encouraging it is and a great reminder when someone is feeling frustrated with making progress.

    ReplyDelete
  20. thanks for such a helpful post! I loved reading your perspective on blogging, and it is so important to remember why we do this!

    ReplyDelete
  21. thanks for a great post! Glad to see other bloggers with their priorities and passions in focus!

    ReplyDelete
  22. Interesting post! I'm in my 2nd year of blogging and it's true that if you're honest and true to who you are, brands will come knocking. I turn down more than I accept on the blog now as I don't want to share things that I know my readers won't be interested in.x

    ReplyDelete
  23. Totally agree with what you wrote - great posts! I was hoping to generate some income from blogging and though it has, it's not as much as I hoped it would be. But I have to remember I didn't do this to make money but to share my love for clothes with other like minded people.

    Alice
    www.happinessatmidlife.com

    Hope you will stop by & join TBT Fashion link up.

    ReplyDelete
  24. I can totally relate to this and find that it's easy to lose your perspective sometimes. Thanks for sharing this encouraging post!

    Jill
    Doused In Pink

    ReplyDelete
  25. Well written, i am in my first year and i am just grateful for the exposure and i opportunities i have had. I am having a great time blogging :)
    http://stylediarybyosy.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  26. Such a great post! Thank you for sharing!
    xx

    ReplyDelete
  27. I totally agree with you! We have to blog because we love it,not because we want free stuff. And we have to understand that it doesn't happen at the same time for everyone. Some bloggers get opportunities right away, and others may have to wait a little longer. Great post, very helpful!
    Obsessed Fashion Blog

    ReplyDelete
  28. such great words of advice! I went through two years before my blog even started being contacted for PR - I didn't have as much time to devote to it but I was doing it as something for fun - which I had to remind myself. but now I am working on it more and more trying to build up my blog! and i am slowly getting more opportunities!
    great blog post!
    - Andrea
    www.phdfashionista.com

    ReplyDelete
  29. What great advice! I can't wait to read your other posts too! Do you do any consulting/coaching? XO Susan www.themidlifefashionista.com

    ReplyDelete

Hi, thank you for leaving a comment. I always enjoy reading comments and they make my day. So, go ahead and make mine! :)