The world of fashion blogging is such a large community. When I first started out, I was a bit overwhelmed given that there are several other bloggers like me. However, it is also the exact same thing that makes fashion blogging a lot of fun (for me, at least). There is an opportunity to build relationships and become part of a larger community, albeit online. If you are curious about venturing out into fashion blogging yourself, or is just starting out, here are some of the things I've learned along the way that will help you prepare for what's ahead:
7. Fashion blogging isn't solely about fashion... it's more about showcasing the unique you. It may sound like a cliche but unless you showcase your unique style, it is easy to be drowned by other fashion bloggers. I know I am not the most influential fashion blogger out there but there are brands reaching out to me for collaboration and other types of partnership. That speaks a lot about their ability to recognize my genuine passion for fashion and other similar interest.
6. It can be a creative outlet. I am always surprised when people are shocked to find out that I blog even though I work as a full-time writer and internet marketing manager. Blogging about the things that I enjoy can serve as my creative outlet.
5. Social media is a powerful tool. I used to think social media is just a space where people share their rants or photos. However, if you can utilize these tools well, it can help propel your blog to the next level.
4. Proper organization is key. If you have decided to become a serious fashion blogger, you must be prepared to set aside the little things that don't contribute to your overall productivity. Good time management skills can also be your life-saver!
3. Blog jealousy is normal... but don't let it distract you. It can be disheartening to work your heart out on promoting your blog and not getting the same opportunities as other bloggers do. Don't get yourself into a negative self-talk. Think about making your blog a better space instead. Just because you are not there yet, does not mean that you will never get there.
1. In connection with the item above... confidence. This is one of the things that I have gained once I ventured into fashion blogging. This is not to say that I lack confidence prior, but it has certainly elevated it to a point wherein I do what I want to do without seeking approval from others. I sure have come a long way from someone who was shy about having my photos taken. And now, I can proudly share my looks to the rest of the world and be confident about it.
What about you? What have you learned about blogging, especially about yourself?
Style ConsciousBelieve it or not, the fashion industry is the second most dangerous industry to the planet. Between the (leather) tanning, gold mining and dye industries, fashion may look great on you, but not so much on "Mother Earth." This week we have links to bloggers who are looking into what it means to be a kinder consumer of fashion. And of course, we're all still gossiping about that Oscar's red carpet too.
Links à la Mode: February 26th
- Adorned in Armor: Dear Black People, You Are Your Hair. Love, America
- A Glamourous Revelation: I Was *That* Annoying Fashion Blogger
- Art Becomes You: 7 Pairs of Zara Shoes or 1 Pair of Jimmy Choo?
- Chicagoings: The 5 Items You Need for Winter
- Christine Violet: Nature Inspired Fashion
- Chromo Beauty: A Chat With Allison Raskin
- DressCode:HighFashion: Top 10 Oscar's Looks
- Fashion Culturalist: 7 Lessons in Fashion from NYFW
- Fashion Trends and More: Philadelphia Fashion Week
- Ginger Side of Life: How to Get the Perfect Bun
- Hello Handbag: Drool worthy Bags With a Compassionate Twist
- I Can Style U: Dude Create a Fury for Spring 2015
- Inexpensive Chic: How to Dress Stylishly in The Extreme Cold
- Les Assorties: OWAIS HAJI X MAHEEN KHAN
- Life in the Fash Lane: 7 Things I Learned About Fashion Blogging
- Riva la Diva: DIY Burberry Prorsum's Scarf Look
- See Lark: How to Wear Color
- Storybook Apothecary: That Time My Boyfriend And I Joined OK Cupid
- TLV Birdie: Scandinavian Minimalist Makeup
- Wishing for Chanel: Going Cruelty Free