Pattern Play

Posts here, here & here
Wearing patterns is the simplest and most effective way to create an outfit that will stand out. With the right choice of pattern prints and pairing, you can make quite a style statement. However, there as many ways to style patterns as there is for it to go wrong. Here are 5 simple rules you should keep in mind at all times: 

1. Mix patterns that belong to the same color palette. This is the most basic trick when combining patterns into your outfit. Choose patterns that belong to the same color hues to create a subtle yet daring look. It also stimulates the eye without losing its sense of being refined and polished.

2. Pick complementing patterns. The worst thing about mixing patterns is for it to overwhelm you. Thus, choose to wear patterns that complement each other. Experiment with different combinations to determine what works best together.

3. Avoid overly matching patterns and prints. Mixing patterns can be fun; but don't let yourself get too carried away. Wearing head-to-toe matching patterns is a little too overdone.


Posts here, here & here

4. Incorporate some neutrals. This will enable the visual space of your outfit to be broken up. For instance, you can wear a solid colored top underneath a patterned blazer or stockings on your printed skirt.

5. Mix pattern/print sizes. To avoid the outfit being too loud, try to vary up the size of the print and pattern. Large prints should be paired with smaller prints to create balance. Choose one print to become to focal point and let the other one be a complimenting style element. 

Below are some bright colored, patterned items I scoured online and launched a serious drool-fest:



Left to right: 1 / 2/ 3/ 4


Left to right: 1 / 2/ 3/ 4

What's your best styling tip for wearing patterns?

PS: Linked up with Real Girl Glam!


26 comments

  1. Love the outfit on all the cute ladies!

    Xo
    Iris

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm so bad at wearing and mixing patterns - it's a weakness of mine that I'm scared to admit, lol. Thanks for the tips!

    xox Lara www.weheartbeautyblog.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. I remember when the mixing print trend 1st began and I didn't think I'd ever be able to pull it off - now I probably rely on mixing prints too much :) Great tips, thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I do need all the help I can get for mixing prints! Just dropping in from the GFC Collective Hop to meet you and follow via GFC:)))
    Would also love to invite you to join Lets Get Social Sunday to help grow all your social sites including your blog!!
    http://www.myturnforus.com/2013/07/lets-get-social-sunday-29.html

    Hugs

    ReplyDelete
  5. These are great tips! I tend to play it safe and not mix prints too much. Which is weird because I love color and am not afraid to take risks. I should really try it. Also I love that teal blazer with the leopard lining! So fun.

    Lauren
    Style of One's Own

    ReplyDelete
  6. love love love that chevron top from lulus! :)
    you look great too <3

    -marsa
    The DayLee Journal

    ReplyDelete
  7. Loving that black and white maxi dress!!

    xo,
    Gina
    http://eastcoastwestcoastfashion.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  8. Your advice is excellent. And I love patterned tops with solid pants or skirts.

    Heidi’s Wanderings

    ReplyDelete
  9. Excellent advice.... I love a slight "mismatch" in print... I mix stripes with floral and it works great! :)

    rhea @ rheaetcetera.com

    ReplyDelete
  10. Love it! Great tips! I'd love it if you would check out my blog!

    ReplyDelete
  11. cute pattern tops you featured!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Great tips! I love the look with the floral maxi skirt! Thanks for linking up with Three-fer Thursday :)

    xo Bethany
    www.perfectlycoutured.com

    ReplyDelete
  13. I don't really mix prints but I do like wearing them! Love your shopping picks!

    ~Jacy

    www.laviedelenore.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  14. Hi there! I am co-hosting this week on the My Favorite Posts Showoff Weekend Blog Party. Thanks for connecting up!

    I host a (Not SO) Wordless Wednesday Blog Hop and a TGIF Link Party over at my place -- A Peek Into My Paradise... http://apeekintomyparadise.blogspot.com/ I would love for you to link up and follow (if you don't already) if you like what you see. =) I follow back - I love making new friends!

    Have a terrific week!

    Hugs, Cathy

    ReplyDelete
  15. Love how you went for the patten mixing and matching! Way to go. Thanks for linking up to the Trend Spin this week, make sure to come back for bows next week!

    xoxo
    Erin
    The Fashion Canvas

    ReplyDelete
  16. Love all the prints!! Print mixing is one of my favorite things to do now that I'm finally on the bandwagon. ; ) Glad to have you linkup again!
    walkinginmemphisinhighheels.com

    ReplyDelete
  17. Such great tips for pairing patterns! So glad we connected through the linkup :) suiteliketee.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  18. Thanks for linking up today, please link your post back..

    ReplyDelete
  19. i love the classic of florals and stripes for pattern mixing, it is my fav thing to do! xx

    ReplyDelete
  20. I adore patterns. They can really make an outfit pop!

    Thanks so much for linking up!

    Can I ask that you please link your post back to my blog? That is my only rule for linking up. I work hard to put these link-ups together and I would appreciate the link-back. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  21. I love pattern playing! Great post.

    Thank you for linking up with Style Sessions!

    Lauren xx
    www.stylelixir.com

    ReplyDelete

Hi, thank you for leaving a comment. I always enjoy reading comments and they make my day. So, go ahead and make mine! :)